Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 64: Homemade

As I was working from home yesterday and wanted to pay a visit to Bob the Builder, I thought I had better take down some morning tea, so made Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. 

These are cookies, not biscuits, because I made them from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I bought from Walmart in Orlando, Florida last year.  I have long had a fascination with American cookery but have found the cookbooks incomprehensible.  I have no idea what powdered sugar or light colored (sic) corn syrup is, we don't have Half and Half here and a stick of butter is not a measure familiar to Aussies.  But this little beauty translates most of the tricky terms and measures and cost only USD9. Stos thinks I have had more entertainment out of this purchase than anything else I have bought recently.  It's like a home economics text in that it has a glossary, provides details of cooking basics, kitchen appliances and equipment.  And it contains all the  American recipes that you have heard about such as:

- Biscuits (scones)
- Grits (not really sure of the equivalent, but seems like polenta)
- Red Velvet cake (chocolate cake with lots of red colouring)
- Fried chicken (self explanatory but salt and buttermilk is involved)

I haven't seen a recipe for St Louis Gooey Butter Cake (doesn't this sound wonderful), but maybe this is very localised.

I have made a few things out of this book and they have turned all out well.  Bob was looking forward to having his allocation of the cookies and the folks at the Day Job were very pleased to polish off the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment